Sunday, June 16, 2013

Think Outside for Father's Day

DSCN0866One of the best ways to spend Father's Day is to share family time outdoors. Time together in nature helps make healthy families through shared experiences and enough casual space for relaxed conversation. Some families go to the beach or the lake; some grill steaks in the backyard; some play ball in the park; some people spend the day missing their dad and gathering memories of special times together. My family always makes sure that I can spend at least part of my day in nature. Many times over the years, we have gone for a family hike in the woods. Last year Joshua and I were canoeing in Canada with our Boy Scout troop on Father's Day, so our family hike was actually several days later.

How about you and your dad? If you're lucky, some of your fondest memories with him are outside. I remember in the 1970s when my dad went backpacking with our Scout troop on the Appalachian Trail and then later returned with the whole family for a day hike to The Pinnacle on the AT in Pennsylvania. I also remember one teenage summer when he would regularly take advantage of the late sunset by taking me fishing at Lums Pond after he got home from work. Today, I still enjoy sharing the sights and sounds of the woods with my dad when my parents come for a visit. I am lucky.

Whatever your family situation, I hope that you are able to spend time with those you love this summer, preferably in nature. If you're looking for something to do, think outside. Go for a walk; share a picnic lunch; wait until after dark if it's too hot where you live. Whatever you do, spending time outdoors is a surefire way to create great family memories.

Father's Day Hike 2012
Father's Day Hike, 2012
IMGP0859
Father's Day Hike, 2006 

No comments:

Post a Comment