Friday, July 12, 2013

Firefly Walk

The forest is enchanted. Just after sunset this evening, Beth and I went for a walk in the woods and immediately found ourselves surrounded by hundreds and hundreds of fireflies dancing in the air all about us. The sight of a forest filled with twinkling fireflies was mesmerizing.

I knew the experience could never be adequately described either in writing or a photograph, and I was grateful that Beth was in the woods with me to see it in person. This was a special moment of common beauty, and the only way to really know it was to be there. The glowing fireflies filled the hollow with glory and light, and we felt lucky just to be there.

This blog is not enough. The written word and the photograph will always fall short. I must do more to get people into the woods so they can see and touch and feel the wonders of wild places for themselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment