Friday, August 2, 2013

Harbingers of Autumn

I know it is only the second day of August, but this morning I was on the lookout for signs of fall. As the season gets to late summer, I am always eager to watch for harbingers of autumn.

Morning light in the forest
Morning light in the forest
Before there were columned cathedrals and stained glass windows there were forests.


Walnut with elm leaf
Walnut with elm leaf

Sassafras
Sassafras

Mushroom on trailhead log
Mushroom on one of the logs marking our trailhead

Tulip Poplar
Tulip Poplar
As I rounded the corner that leads into an area that always feels to me like chapel, I saw two yellow Tulip Poplar leaves falling to the forest floor. This is one of them, a promise of the changing of the seasons.


Cottonwood
Cottonwood
I was attacked by yellow jackets when I snapped this picture. I suppose I was too near their nest. Luckily I only received two stings, before I beat a hasty retreat, which was their goal I'm sure. Ouch!

No comments:

Post a Comment