Thursday, August 1, 2013

Hiking Tip - Walk in the Morning

DSCN1316Do you have a hard time hiking in the summer because it's too hot? The heat and humidity of summer can make a walk in the woods miserable, and when the weather is summertime hot, the humidity in the forest will be even higher, turning a shaded refuge into a dripping green sauna. This is no fun, no matter how much you love nature.

This seems simple and obvious, but I think it's worth mentioning:  The easiest way to avoid the heat is to walk in the cool of the morning. I'm not a morning person by any stretch of the imagination, so this doesn't come natural to me. When I have time in the morning, my tendency is to just sit and drink coffee. If I'm not careful, soon an hour has passed and I am in danger of letting the day slip away from me. The trick is to get out the door before the urgencies of the day take over the schedule. Whether or not the coffee has kicked in, my mood always gets better once I get outside and begin walking.

Time in nature, simply walking and wondering, is vital for my daily mental health. I would be wise to give it a high priority.

“An early morning walk is a blessing for the whole day.”
— Thoreau's Journal, April 20, 1840. 

No comments:

Post a Comment