Thursday, October 17, 2013

Fallen Leaf from the Past

DSCN2479
A brief walk in a damp autumn woods, and like a fallen leaf, my mind is at rest. The colors, sounds, smells, and cool air all combine to renew my spirit and breathe fresh life into my body. And somehow autumn days reconnect me to my past, also. I don't know how this happens, but a walk in the autumn woods can transport me back to the fields and forests of my youth in northern Delaware. The ancient beeches here become the giant trees I loved as a kid. As if by some deep memory, my path takes me through a forest that was long ago and far away. If I let my mind wander, I half expect to round the corner and find an ancient fieldstone barn or hear a noisy flock of geese flying overhead. The forest behind our house is continuous with the woods I grew up in so many years ago. And I walk through it still.

No comments:

Post a Comment