Monday, February 17, 2014

Herald of the Spring!

I witnessed the first wildflowers of the season yesterday! A tiny wildflower appropriately called Harbinger-of-Spring (Erigenia bulbosa) is finally beginning to make it's appearance in Middle Tennessee. Not surprisingly, this herald of the spring is running late this year (at least compared to recent years). Looking back at my notes from the last couple of years, I see that on the 2nd of February in 2012 I reported that I'd been seeing it for over a week. And last year on Feb 18, I noted that blooming Harbinger-of-Spring was "common and widespread." Spring may be slow this year, but it is surely coming. Once things get going, I expect a veritable riot of blooming spring wildflowers. Get ready to party!

Harbinger-of-Spring (Erigenia bulbosa)
Harbinger-of-Spring (Erigenia bulbosa) with unopened buds the size of a pin head

Harbinger-of-Spring (Erigenia bulbosa)
Harbinger-of-Spring blooms beginning to open in the sun. These
relatively nondescript flowers never get larger than ¼ inch across.


No comments:

Post a Comment