Sunday, February 23, 2014

Images of Late Winter, Early Spring

With beautiful weather and a day off from work, it was a blessing to be able to go for a longer walk today. Here are a few images of the day. I hope that you, too, were able to spend a few hours outdoors.

Harbinger-of-Spring (Erigenia bulbosa)
First Bloom!  Our earliest flower, Harbinger-of-Spring (Erigenia bulbosa), in our backyard

Harbinger-of-Spring (Erigenia bulbosa)
Harbinger-of-Spring (Erigenia bulbosa) blooming in the woods. This species is sometimes
called "Salt & Pepper," describing the black and white coloring of the diminutive flowers.

Wet weather spring
Our wet weather spring that only flows for a few days after extremely heavy
rains. On days like this, I carry a Sierra cup on my belt so that I can easily drink.

emerging Cutleaf Toothwort (Dentaria laciniata)
Emerging Cutleaf Toothwort (Dentaria laciniata)

Beech & Sassafras
Young beech & old sassafras

Trail companion
My loyal & carefree companion, Sadie. I'm pretty sure that if I told her
we were going to hike the entire 2160 miles of the Appalachian Trail,
she could be packed and ready in less than 10 seconds.

Autumn's Remnant
Autumn's Remnant — A winter weary beech leaf on a young beech tree.
The leaves of young beech trees tend to hang on throughout the winter,
coming off only in spring as the new leaves are coming out. Botanists say
that the retained leaves are marcescent, but I just like to think of them
as coppery jewelry adorning the forest through the gray days of winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment