Sunday, November 9, 2014

Backpacking 101 at Boxwell for our younger Scouts

This weekend we took a simple backpacking trip at Boxwell Scout Reservation to introduce and teach our younger Scouts to the joys of travelling light. To my mind, backpacking pretty much epitomizes everything we're trying to achieve when we take boys outdoors in Scouting, and I very much enjoy sharing the adventure with a new generation of Scouts. Here are a few moments from the trip.

DSCN6767
Mike brewing coffee on his wood burning Solo Stove



Scouts
Scout games of bear bagging and improvised emergency shelters

Our enthusiastic Troop 17 hikers (photo by Mike DuBose)



DSCN6795
Sunset dinner on my Solo Stove

DSCN6801
My nearest neighbor at dawn Sunday morning

DSCN6804
My tarp setup

DSCN6808
My camp beneath the setting moon at dawn

DSCN6809
On a cold morning, there's nothing like a simple, warm breakfast of hot granola and coffee

DSCN6814
Maple gold

No comments:

Post a Comment