Thursday, January 8, 2015

Dust to Dust, and Tree to Tree

Blown down hickory
Maybe I'm weird, but I am completely fascinated by rotting logs. One could spend a lifetime studying and marveling over the way a log dissolves back to earth. A single fallen tree is a microcosm of whole life-cycles and ecosystems and the ceaseless circle of life and death. Indeed the line between life and death becomes quite fuzzy, suggesting life giving way to life. The fallen living tree does not become "dead," but becomes beetle, fungus, and moss instead. Over time these become humus and a soil more alive than the living tree ever was. This soil then feeds and nourishes the next tree. Viewed through a different timescale, it is as if the fallen tree merely melts into the earth and becomes another tree. But, of course, I can't really think on that sort of time scale. My perception of time completely fails me.


DSCN2494

Mossy log


No comments:

Post a Comment