Saturday, March 7, 2015

Vernal Threshold

Every chance I get now, I go for a hike. Today I spent 3 hours sauntering from home. It truly is a blessing to have a trailhead in your own side yard.

It was a delightfully warm and sunny day. The thermometer showed 58ยบ when I walked out the door at 2 o'clock. Only within our narrow hollow was there much of any remaining snow at all. Everywhere else that I looked I saw only spots of snow, scattered here and there like pages of a discarded newspaper.

Even it our shadowed hollow, though, the snow is melting quickly to reveal wildflowers eager to party. The Dentaria seemed defiant, Hepatica patient and resolute. Always the first, Erigenia is in full bloom, even when surrounded by snow. By next weekend, I expect the forest floor to be changing over to green with all the sprouting Dentaria and Claytonia that I know is there waiting.

I even saw hatches of flying insects in two places. Both were bunches of small, fuzzy, tan insects hoovering around the base of beech trees where the sun was sun shining, seemingly urgent in their business.

A little later the warmth drove me out of my long sleeved shirt, and I must say it felt wonderful to have the sunshine streaming down on my bare arms. It made me happy.

Heading into the back of the hollow

Cutleaf Toothwort (Dentaria laciniata

Sharp-Lobed Hepatica (Hepatica acutiloba)

Sharp-Lobed Hepatica (Hepatica acutiloba)

Cutleaf Toothwort (Dentaria laciniata

Icy Moss

Harbinger-of-Spring (Erigenia bulbosa)

Wayfarer soaking in the sunshine

No comments:

Post a Comment