Sunday, July 5, 2015

Success

“How you climb a mountain is more important than reaching the top.” — Yvon Chouinard

This is not a commercial. I repeat, this is not a commercial. I'm just a fan. I've  been fascinated by Yvon Chouinard for years. I'm not totally sure, but it probably started about the time I bought one his wonder wicking Capilene t-shirts in 1999. By the way, much to my wife's chagrin, I'm still wearing that 16 year old t-shirt, even though I've bought it's replacement.

Chouinard is an accomplished rock climber, environmentalist, and businessman. He started by making gear for rock climbers (Chouinard Equipment, which later became Black Diamond Equipment), but most people today would probably know him as the founder and owner of Patagonia.

Chouinard has always been a pioneer and innovator. Today Patagonia leads the way as a socially and environmentally responsible clothing company. One of their most interesting campaigns encourages us not buy new Patagonia gear, but to wear and repair what we have.

For the last couple of days I've been reading bits and pieces of Chouinard's wisdom from interviews and short essays, and my interest and admiration continue to grow. I think need to read his book, Let My People Go Surfing: The Education of a Reluctant Businessman.  

There'll be more thoughts inspired by Chouinard, I'm sure. In the mean time, I'm going to pay more attention to how I climb my mountains. 

No comments:

Post a Comment