Whether imposed by harsh weather, religion, or individual will, there are lessons to be learned from a sabbath. If you're feeling "stuck at home" by the winter storm, I recommend you relax, call it a sabbatical, and learn what you can. Here's my list of 10:
1. There is a difference between wants and needs.
2. True emergencies arise, but there is very little that cannot wait until another day.
3. Oxygen, water, food, and shelter are fundamental. A good Wifi connection and beer are not.
4. Rest and contemplation are restorative. If you don't understand this, then you need it badly.
5. Simplicity can be a joy.
6. Knowing how to cook from basic ingredients is an important life skill.
7. Whether watching foraging birds out the window, going for a moonlit walk in the snow, or watering your houseplants, there is a joy in connecting with nature.
8. Absolute freedom is an illusion anyway. We are never really free to do what we want whenever we want.
9. True wealth has little to do with money.